The old water bubble level may have some uses left, but most of the heavy work now belongs to a laser level. Throwing away the old level is not necessary, but room should be made for a rotary laser level and accessories such as the tripod and rechargeable batteries. Having a complete package will save time, labor, and money depending on the use.
Using a rotary laser will eliminate the pencil lines on painted walls and can still be used to guide through to the end of the project. There is no need to pay for more laser than you need nor should you pay for an inferior product for an inflated price. New users, even do it yourself are pleasantly surprised at the ease of use and savings in time. This time savings is really what makes a high quality rotary level worth the investment.
The information following is provided to help you get enough information to go to your local sales center as an informed consumer. Read on to get a basic understand of the rotary laser level, see some cool applications, and then get reviews on the five best rotary laser levels out there.
What is a Rotary Laser Level
Before we really get to the most popular models it is important to understand what a rotary laser level can do for you at a construction site. You can find a ton of amazing information on the websites of the various manufacturers. These are all quite an investment so understanding what a rotary level is for is critical so that you do not over-buy.
Rotary laser levels provide a 360 degree beam of light. This might be inside, showing level on walls or outside showing level for grading. It may be for setting up cement forms or for building a deck. The main feature is that the beam is everywhere. To find it you need your eyes or a detector.
Compare 5 best rotary laser level
There are many options available on the market for Rotary Laser Levels. Considering the factors above, price and customer reviews there are five that seem to be the best of the best. The list is numerical, not ranked. Review these rotary level lasers for yourself before you start searching vendors.
Purpose and application
The rotary laser level picks up where the old fashioned two foot or four foot levels leave off. Anytime that level is needed beyond the manual level’s length; or a distance of more than four feet, chances of production being off level becomes greater with every inch. No matter how good the contractor there is a slight angle built in every time the level is moved which can add up to a couple of inches.
From the foundation of a structure to the minute task of hanging wall art, there are too many uses to count. A level foundation sets the project up for the other subcontractors to do their work. The older methods of four foot levels and transits were good, but it was too easy to knock the line off level. A rotary level can be set up, turned on, and it will find a level and shoot a red dot beyond 100 feet that is accurate within 1/8 inch. If the level gets bumped or knocked around it will tell the crew that there is a problem.
Similarly with framing new construction or an old building the rotary laser level is going to be a crew’s best friend. Just secure the level in the center of the room and within a few seconds a top wall location is established, and measurements can be created for remaining walls, floors, and ceiling. Going back to the new construction after the level foundation has been installed the same tool can go back and used to set sills and doorways with only a few shims inserted here and there.
After the foundation is laid and the frame is up the particular finishing details may be more easily placed and verified. The siding crew will be ever grateful when they find it easier to measure around doors and windows. The finish carpenters will appreciate the level surface for their work as well.
The finish carpenters themselves can use the rotary laser level to verify the level for extensive moldings, a large expanse of kitchen cabinets and a plethora of other applications.
Tile Installers, Electricians, Masons, are among the trades that truly appreciate a good rotary laser level to maintain consistency on a site by allowing the crew to keep a square and the line does not get covered as the work continues to an old level and pen.
There is also newer technology that works by remote control for the larger jobs some newer models also feature a privacy option that deters the interference from other lasers on the same site. Other lasers can send the measurements of a computer. Why would anyone work without one?
Home owners can find a variety of applications throughout their homes and especially while working alone. For large jobs outside installing decking and landscaping, an excellent rotary laser level can be rented for the day when it would not be beneficial to purchase. Many areas have equipment rental locations nearby.
How to choose the best rotary laser level
If the level is not a good level, it will be no more help that a four foot level and a pencil. There are some things to consider when looking for a good laser. A new buyer can be at the mercy of a good salesperson if they do not know what to look for before they get to the store. Consider these factors when shopping for a rotary laser level.
- The job requirements. Hanging up pictures or doing some small Do It Yourself work at home do not require a rotary level. So purchasing a rotary level for many small jobs is a bad idea. Will a manual laser be enough or should a self-leveling model be best? It is never a good idea to get too much tool.
- The visibility of the beam is important outdoors, and many models include eyeglasses with the kit
- Work requiring an entire room requires a 360-degree beam.
- Large areas can benefit from a model with a wireless remote control.
- Battery life is a concern. Some models come with an additional battery. The extra battery may come in handy on the job sites. Purchasing an additional battery may cost around $100.00.
- The storage case construction may seem like a petty thing, but the rotary laser level is a precision instrument and should be protected during transportation. It should also have room for additional accessories.
- The size of the rotary laser level can be significant. Larger jobs will require a model that can handle a longer range with a finer more accurate line.
- The construction of the exterior casing is imperative primarily because of the conditions on most jobsites. Moisture resistant, durable components that stand up to all environments are best.
- A better model comes with an alert that indicates when the tool is off level.
- Manufacturer’s and extended warranties are necessary for a sensitive tool that is used in extreme working conditions.
- Variable speed options allow the user to adjust according to the lighting of the job site and accuracy of the beam.
There is no need to struggle through larger jobs with an old-fashioned four foot level, some string, and more people than is now necessary. New users are very satisfied with the rotary laser level when the standard laser seemed to require more effort than a manual water bubble laser. For commercial use, the decrease in labor costs will pay for the difference in no time.
For the do it yourself any of the reviewed rotary laser levels will take the worry out of repairing or refurbishing a home. The user can be assured that the deck or the tree houses that are built for the kids will survive most storms. There are many other models on the market and many other prices that are available as well, but getting the most for the dollar should be a concern. With the ease of use and accuracy of all of these models, even the least experienced builder or home owner can benefit from using these products and not feel cheated.